Friday 22 February 2013

My brief ownership of a Sega Multi-Mega (CDX)

I did say in my last post that i bought something a little bit special at the Geek Show
Well this was it a Sega Multi-Mega, a very rare console from the mid '90s apparently only 5000 ever made and I used to own one, I think I sold it at a bootfair and have regretted it ever since.

The Multi-Mega is a small Console based on the Mega Drive, well it IS a Mega Drive with a Mega CD built in, it is also really really small for its day, just slightly bigger then a Portable CD Player. They look really cool!

Today, whilst the kids were playing Table Football i saw one for sale from Retro Rehab Games who had a stall at the location, it was very expensive, £150 but you know boys and their toys and whats the point working long shifts and weekends if you cant treat yourself.

Carried it home treating it with kid gloves! i set it up next to my TV, not underneath or in the drawers, I wanted it on display!!

I played a bit of Street Fighter, the 4 year old beat me about 6 times and then the missus went on to beat me over and over again. Good fun!

Then... I went and dug a Mega CD title from the attic..

I heard Laser
I saw movement
"checking disc"
"checking disc"
Nothing :(

I decided to try an audio CD, a legitimate audio CD, I picked one from the Mother in Law's CD cabinet (all mine are in the car) The Corrs, lovely!

I heard Laser
I saw movement
"checking disc"
"checking disc"
Nothing :(

I did a bit of Googling and it stated that the Multi-Mega requires a 9.5v 1.2A Power Supply, the one i have been given, although genuine Sega is a 10V 850mA supply.
Various sources on the internet state that the latter Power Supply can be used but it can cause problems with the system, it is unclear wether it causes permanent problems or just problems when using the wrong supply, as others state the machine can work fine with the latter Supply.

Im going to have to go back in the morning before work, I hope the stewards are understanding and let me pop in without charging me admittance again!

More so I hope the Guys who sold it to me are reasonable and supply with with the correct power supply and test the machine or give me a full refund!
Im a bit un-nerved that they have not got a single contact number on their website and only 21 followers on Facebook.

This is a word of warning to anyone that is thinking of buying a Multi-Mega, ensure it has the correct Power Supply.

If this had been a bootfair find for say £10-£50 I would either cut my losses OR find someone skilled to fix it, however for the price I paid, I expect the item to be fully working.

 
I guess, at least this has stopped me from wanting one...... I think

1 comment: